COMMUNITY PROFILEThe Spring Cove School District is located in the southern portion of Blair County, approximately fifteen miles south of the city of Altoona, in the area known as Morrisons Cove.The school district is rural and has dairy farms, orchards, and farm-related industries. However, many of the residents commute outside the community to work in nearby Hollidaysburg or Altoona.
Six municipalities combine to form the Spring Cove School District:
Encompassing approximately 98.6 square miles, the total population was last counted at 13,789. Student enrollment is approximately 1,800, and the district employs about 230 people. Travel
- Freedom Township
- Huston Township
- Martinsburg Borough
- North Woodbury Township
- Roaring Spring Borough
- Taylor Township
Pennsylvania Routes 36, 164, 866, 867, and US Interstate 99 pass through the district. In addition, access to US Route 22 is within five miles and access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike and US Interstate 70 is within twenty miles.The Altoona-Blair County Airport, two miles south of Martinsburg, is also located in our district. Daily commuter flights to and from Washington, DC are available.
Community, Church, and Civic Organizations
Most church denominations are represented. Many active organizations with diverse activities include:
- Business and Professional Women
- Pennsylvania Federation of Womens' Clubs
- Community libraries are located in both Martinsburg and Roaring Spring and operate as part of the Tri-County Library System led by the large public library in Altoona.
Recreational facilities can be found within twenty to twenty-five miles as well as in the community. Lake Raystown Resort, Blue Knob State Park, and a number of streams provide fishing, boating, water sports, and camping. Wooded areas and State Game Lands provide good hunting territory.
The Morrisons Cove Memorial Park has an outdoor swimming pool. Both the Spring Cove Middle School and Central High School are open during specified hours for those who wish to establish a walking program.
Roller skating, bowling, and other recreational activities go on throughout the area. The schools, Scouts, Garver YMCA, Park Association, and Sportsmen Associations provide formal recreational programs.
Located in the area or within commuting distance:
- Penn State Altoona College
- Mt. Aloysius College
- St. Francis University
- Juniata College
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Penn State University
- Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center
- South Hills School of Business
- Allegany College of Maryland - Bedford County Campus
The region is served by a number of medical facilities, including:
- Nason Hospital
- Altoona Regional Health System
- James A. Van Zandt Veterans Hospital
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital
- Appleton Papers
- Cove Shoe Company
- Nason Hospital
- NPC-News Printing Company
- Roaring Spring Paper Products
- Roaring Spring Water
- Smith Transport
- Spring Cove School District